A lmond milk is an excellent and healthy alternative to regular milk. Many people have a hard time digesting regular dairy and may not even realize it. But what’s our coffee to do without the stuff? Almond milk can be substituted for regular milk in your favorite recipes, smoothies, or just in a glass on its own!
Aside from being delicious, almond milk has a whole host of positive properties. Almond milk is full of healthy fats, which help to prevent heart disease and high blood pressure.
Almond milk contains important vitamins and minerals such as E and A that help enhance immunity, protect cells from damage, and aid in growth and development. Vitamin E is also responsible for keeping our skin looking young and protecting it from sun damage. Almond milk also contains vitamin D, which helps maintain strong teeth and bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s. Lastly, it’s rich with B vitamins, such as iron and riboflavin, which help our muscles absorb and utilize protein for energy, repair, and growth.
As important as what’s in it, is what’s not. Almond milk doesn’t contain lactose, making it far easier to digest than dairy. Also, almond milk is low in carbs and therefore won’t significantly raise blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of diabetes. All of these benefits work together to keep your body healthy and happy!
Benefits of almond milk
- Contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- High in healthy fats (omega fatty acids)
- Boosts immune function
- Helps with weight management
- Keeps heart healthy
- Doesn’t increase blood sugar levels
- Lactose free
- Prevents high blood pressure
- Reduces risk of arthritis and osteoporosis
- Keeps skin glowing
- It’s easy to make and delicious!
Almond milk has definitely been gaining popularity and it’s increasingly easier to find at your supermarket. However, commercial almond milks often contain additives and unnecessary sugar. They can also be extremely expensive.
Opt for making your own at home rather than buying it at the store. When you make it yourself, you know exactly what’s going into your milk. Ready to whip some up fresh almond milk? It’s super easy with this recipe. And of course, delicious! Here’s how to make Almond Milk.
Easy Almond Milk Recipe
– High speed blender
– Glass jar with lid
– Nut milk filter bag or cheesecloth (can be bought at any kitchen store)
1 cup almonds, soaked
3 – 4 cups water, filtered
1 – 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Soak almonds in water over night
- Strain almonds and discard the dirty water
- Rinse the almonds thoroughly
- Blend the almonds with 3 cups of water (or use 4 cups if you like it less creamy!) and a teaspoon (or 2) of vanilla until smooth
- Strain mixture through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth and squeeze milk into a bowl
- Transfer almond milk into a bottle
- Keep well covered and shake before using
- Have a glass!
Don’t throw away the almond meal! Use the almond meal in any other recipes that call for flour, oatmeal or almond meal.
Do you like almond milk? How do you use it? Share your recipes or ideas in the comments below!